Sunday, October 18, 2009

There seems to be another transition in quilting. Quilting is moving away from blocks as the main format, and relying on the fabric to speak to the viewer. Even many new block designs showcase fabric with their big pieces and simple shapes. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. I still love the graphic design of blocks and their potential to delight the eye, so if I remain behind the times it is ok. I wonder how this evolution will impact quilt contests which have relied on superb and complex designs and excellent technical skills.

1 comment:

  1. I think many quilters are out to make a quilt quickly....and big pieces, simple shapes and long arm quilting make this possible.
    I still like my hand piecing of "the more pieces the better."
    There seems to be no distiction between hand and machine pieceing and quilting these days.

    ReplyDelete