Saturday, January 16, 2010

Trends

So I have noted several trends. I do see some on the young quilters doing some blocks, but I also realize that most use the patterns available to them. I am a collector of books of quilt blocks. I have a large resource to draw from. So I have a lot more to be inspired from. However, there are parts of these noted trends that I will incorporate into my quilting---solids, lighter colors, more improvisation and the newer graphic prints and large prints. So many of them make me think of when I was first on my own. I bought everything for the kitchen in turquoise.
The other part of trends seems to be Moda, who seems to have the largest number of collections. I have never been crazy for the grayed out look, but they have a large of followers. Have been buying an French quilting magazine, Quiltmania. They are into the more grayed out colors and lots of little pieces. So there is room for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love Quiltmania! My Mom and I lucked into getting several old issues (today) from a friend cleaning out, they are several years old, but new to me.
    I like all colors, but as I have been using my scraps to make my string blocks, I have noticed a lot of brown! I never realized my "browned" palette before. I have noticed a lot of young quilters using the bright colors with ivory sashing. I think it is really fresh and clean looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with you kheli. I think we all got browned out. My next trick will be incorporating the old with the new. You are also so right. Need to try new things and set goals. I think it is good for quilting to evolve. I also think this started with the "Cottage" style movement in decorating magazines. They so loved white.

    ReplyDelete