Now that Fall is upon us I am ready to finish things I started in the summer. Maybe just not so furiously. I hope you will enjoy what I have and have not done. Onto the blogging.
I got this far on my quarter circles. They look like swirling galaxies to me. The lower right hand corner is not done as you can see. I used one of the very busy Terrie Mangat prints for the squares and naturally ran out of it for the last few blocks. I have another one of these busy prints, the one with giant bees on it, but it is currently lodged in the alternate universe and until it returns this quilt will be waiting to be finished.
I started a new quilt. I found this pattern while cataloging patterns collected by Cuesta Benberry of publications aimed at rural/farmer
audience. They all carried quilt patterns along with knitting, crocheting, embroidery patterns. I found this star called Rail Fence and fell in love. It is so simple and yet very graphic.
Once I started to make a quilt of the blocks I added the sashing so each star is showcased. The borders have been much played with. It took quilt awhile to figure out how to keep the focus on the central image. I toyed with making more blocks, but then each one would be less special. Tried several pieced borders, but they were too much. I like what I came up with. I really wanted the lighter fabric on the left upper corner...an ochre colored fabric. It just was more toned down that the center and was perfect. Alas, it is an oldie and I couldn't find it anywhere and I only have a yard. Drat.
I put up the other two on the right, but they too cannot be found.
Then I tried the red that is in the center of the blocks and it looks great. I found some more on line and have ordered it. It will be here soon. Yeah!
Sorry this is so blurry, but I think I used the telephoto on my camera when I shouldn't. I want to make several panels of applique blocks, using the oval shaped fabric in the leaves. These were left overs from cutting out the "crust" part of the quarter circle blocks from the first quilt above. All of the shapes, except the leave were free cut. These are going very slowly as I am limited by arthritis in by thumb. However, I love them so much, will post better pictures next time.
This block was in the previous post and has needed percolation thru the summer. I like the block, but not the stripe I made..too busy..nor the colors...too dark. Willpick it up again soon.
This was in the previous post too. It turns out navy was not the right color. It too has had to percolate. Now have an idea in place and will get started on it too.
So this has been a time for not too much improv, but both conventional piecing and improv are in the future. So keep an eye out for more.