Wednesday, September 15, 2010
I have been in a mode to straighten (shovel out) my sewing room/studio. It is September and have to have a project. Since very few of us gather the harvest, we substitute hunkering down activities. So far, people who know me and have seen my sewing space are dubious of such an undertaking, but I am making headway....a little each day. When I do sit I am working on my Dresden plates. I was going to sew down the edges of the plates by hand, but instead used a very short stitch length and was able to sew them without stretching them. It is a little trick I learned from Gwen Marston when I took an free stlye applique class...she uses it to sew down stems which can be very boring to applique. I am using a running stitch to sew down the center circles. I am using an orange #8 perle cotton from Prescencia. It is smaller than DMC and quite lovely. Also I am using 2 different background fabrics, mainly because I ran out of my first choice and picked another fabric to complete the blocks.