Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hand dyed fabric


This the first top I have pieces with my hand dyed fabric. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the fabric before cutting it up. It is made from 2 half yard pieces which were laid out flat and dye was dropped on the fabric so make the colors mix together. We used what was left at the end of the day....I am not crazy about this particular red, but what the heck. I think it needs some free form strips on it. I will use (gasp) fusing which is something I have avoided for a long time. I do like the way this came out and it looks much better than the original fabric.

NOTE: Lots of people like the idea of sewing down the Dresdens by machine. Please use a very small length stitch and go slowly so everything moves together. Also I basted the plate to the background, but it could be pinned and I turned under the outside edges and basted them. Let me know how it works for you. I want to try circles and see it it works for them too.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE what you've done with the hand dyes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL! These look like old tiles. You and I think along the same lines, only you're way ahead of me. I've been gathering courage to do some hand-dyeing, but it won't be happening soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! that looks pretty cool! my husband
    's niece just made a quilt like this.. I'll send you the picture... very cool!

    ReplyDelete