Sunday, October 2, 2011









More tradition, yes. I started a medallion. I think I am influenced by Barbara Brackman's new series on quilts at the time of the War of 1812. The center panel has been around a long time. I can't even remember when I bought it or why. I had gotten it out awhile ago and it was just hanging around occasionally being looked at and tossed aside. The first border was made from some triangles I cut for another project that never got used. I had them saved in a little spot of their own. I had to add to them, but the idea worked. Then I realized that the whole thing was a bit wonky and added the top and bottom to "straighten" it out. I went from there. The top picture is where I am currently. The next border has applique, so it will be awhile before I can show it again. It has been fun figuring how to make the borders and it amazes me that they have all fit together. I used my favorite method...staring at the quilt and waking up the next day with an idea of what to add. And last but not least I am using what I have. I need to at least make a dent in my stash before I die.



Just as I was on the next last row, I had had enough. I like making the blocks, but ran out of steam with one row to go. Those pieces will be saved for another day. Contemplating a border of Black and White fabrics......gotta use them up too. Hmmm, we'll see.




Lastly this time are the Carpenter's Wheel blocks. I may have run out of steam with these too. I have moved onto new inspirations. However, they do look so ethereal to me. Since they are made of so many scraps your eye dances around the blocks. OK, so I will s-l-o-w-l-y piece some more and see how it goes. Then I could used that pile of extra diamonds in borders for this quilt or put them in the pile of stuff I just can't throw away. Oooh, lots of decisions.




What is it with blocks? Since their invention more than 110 years ago, quilters have them embraced them wholeheartedly. Is it their portability in a nations where we kept moving west and then from here to there? Is it their geometry? Using simple geometric shapes like squares, rectangles and triangles. Usually using 30/60 or 45/90 degree triangles make pieces compatible. Is it because most are divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8? This make them easier to understand how to put them together or design a new block and sometimes interchangeable.


Is it the Febrinacci sequence, which if found in nature and therefore is a natural harmony?


Even in the most comtemporary quilt blocks, the same patterns applywhen they were designed.









6 comments:

  1. Good question, Bonnie. I have always hated math with one exception....adored geometry. I looked up the theory you mentioned on Wikopedia and found it also applies to spirals....my latest fascination. Hmmm....food for more thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention the math of blocks. I've been working a lot with published quilt patterns from the Ladies Art Company and many are sized 11" and 13". They weren't taking advantage of the easy numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I run out of steam, I figure it is just the quilt telling me to set it aside for awhile. The next time you pull it out, you'll have fresh inspiration for the setting and/or borders.

    I like the idea of black and white fabric in the borders for the second quilt - would love to see it in person when done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have so many amazing projects going on at once. You've got a great question about blocks. Maybe we like making order, repetition and predictability out of chaos. Why do we like puzzles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sounds like you need a new project to distract you from these other UFO's......everything is looking really beautiful, are you too close to see it?

    Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your mind is on a creative surge! Your following your energy or inspiration! so many things are catching your eye, and boy, do you have a good eye!

    ReplyDelete